S’mores honeycomb treats
There is no man in the band Mountain Man; it’s actually a trio of three ladies — Molly Erin Sarle, Alexandra Sauser-Monnig and Amelia Randall Meath — who sing gorgeous, hushed, often-a cappella harmonies; songs about loons and honeybees and buffalo and chickadees. Go ahead, get lost in these videos of them. It’s also worth noting that they recently did a bunch of shows with Feist… Their music sorta feels like sitting around a campfire by a lake, and honeycomb fits it well because this old-fashioned treat is just as light, airy and sweet as their voices; and it’s also known as seafoam, appropriate for an album called Made the Harbor whose cover is a photo of something making a splash in the water. So, just like there’s no man in Mountain Man, there’s no honey in these honeycomb treats — and while the honeycomb itself tastes like burnt marshmallows, there are no marshmallows involved, either. Anyway, dip the honeycomb in chocolate and graham cracker crumbs, and you’ve got a s’more, perfect for listening to Mountain Man and pretending you’re by a campfire on the water.
Adapted from Cherrapeno.
5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
About 1 cup chocolate chips
Graham cracker crumbs
• Set out either a silicone mat or a greased cookie sheet.
• In a medium-large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup and cook over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil (about a minute or so). Prepare the baking soda and cinnamon while the sugar is boiling. After another 5-6 minutes, the mixture will just barely start to change from translucent to a light amber color. Let it go for about a minute longer, until it gets just slightly darker (watch closely or it will burn).
• Quickly remove from the heat and mix in the baking soda and cinnamon. It’s going to seize up, quite similar to making caramel (this is why you need a large-ish pot! also, I used a whisk, but you should probably use a wooden or silicone spoon).
• Pour it out onto the silicone mat or cookie sheet; it’s fine if it’s not evenly spread. Let harden either at room temperature or stick the pan in the freezer to speed it up.
• When it’s hardened, break the honeycomb into pieces (like chocolate bark).
• Melt chocolate chips in the microwave about 30 seconds at a time, or over a double boiler. Dip each piece of honeycomb into the melted chocolate, then the graham cracker crumbs, and set back on the silicone mat or another tray. Let harden.
4 thoughts on “S’mores Honeycomb Treats (Inspired by Mountain Man)”
These sound so good. You’re making me so hungry.
Well then, mission accomplished! 🙂
I’ll have to make these for Alex the next time she’s back home from being on tour with Feist! I still remember the first time I heard the gals singing together… it was on the front porch of the old house they were in in Bennginton. I’ve been in love with that sound ever since.
That would be awesome! I’d love to see photos if you do it!