Vegan blood orange cupcakes with blood orange champagne buttercream
This one’s pretty simple! Blood Orange is the prolific Dev Hynes (who’s also performed as Lightspeed Champion, and has written and/or produced songs for Solange Knowles, Florence & the Machine and Theophilus London), and last year he put out an awesome dance-rock album Coastal Grooves (think TV on the Radio, Holy Ghost!, ’80s pop). The last song on the record is called “Champagne Coast,” so these cupcakes — which I made for the ETB party last week — are flavored with blood oranges, and the frosting has champagne in it. The actual cupcakes certainly could have champagne in them, too — in fact, the only reason they don’t is because I spaced out and totally forgot about it… (Maybe it was that whole “OMG I have to make a few hundred cupcakes” thing that made me forget…) So, both versions are below.
Makes about 36 mini cupcakes. You could make 12 normal-sized cupcakes, baked for a few minutes longer. Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World‘s golden vanilla cupcakes.
1 cup soymilk**
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup champagne**
2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed blood orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon blood orange zest
** If you’re baking champagne in the batter, reduce to 3/4 cup soymilk, then add 1/4 cup champagne with the other wet ingredients.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line your cupcake tins.
• Whisk the soymilk and cider vinegar and let sit for a few minutes.
• Beat together the soymilk mixture, oil, champagne if using, sugar, vanilla, and blood orange juice.
• In the same bowl, sift in flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and mix until well combined.
• Add the blood orange zest and mix until combined, just a few seconds.
• Fill cupcake lines about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way and bake for 15 minutes.
Vegan blood orange champagne buttercream
1/4 stick Earth Balance shortening (or any other vegan shortening), at room temperature
1/4 cup Earth Balance, at room temperature
About 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons champagne
2-3 teaspoons blood orange juice
At least 2 teaspoons blood orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together shortening and “butter” until well combined. Yes, it will make really gross noises.
• Add sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, and mix on medium-high until fluffy. If you don’t add it gradually, this will happen (whoops!):
• Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons champagne, beat until well combined. Add the rest of the champagne, blood orange juice, vanilla and zest, and repeat. Adjust flavor and texture by adding more sugar and/or champagne. In the end it should feel just slightly thicker than whipped cream.
• Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.