No-bake cookies (recipe here)
Kurt Cobain made cookies? Apparently, or he at least had some interest in doing so. While reading through Cobain’s journals as research for a really cool feature we did on eMusic, I found a jotted-down recipe for no-bake cookies (as well as one for his mom’s shrimp pasta salad). This month marks the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind, so in honor of the album’s anniversary I made his cookies to the best of my ability! (And they’re even more appropriate for this week seeing as I’m headed to grunge’s birthplace, Seattle, on Friday.) Strangely enough, they do not have peanut butter in them, like every other no-bake cookie I have ever made or eaten, but I assure you they are still just as fudgy and gooey as the ones that do.
From Kurt Cobain’s Journals, page 24. I halved the recipe, but below is for a normal batch.
3 cups quick oats
2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
• Put the oats in a large bowl.
• Combine everything else in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
• Let boil for two minutes.
• Remove from heat and pour over the oats. Stir the mixture until it sets.
• Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper. Set in the fridge or freezer until they can be peeled off. (They will stay insanely sticky.)